I accomplished the second of my five 2019 goals in October — I ran a race on my birthday. Unfortunately, I didn’t meet that one last year because two races were canceled on my birthday.
So, even though the Marine Corps Marathon four days ago was my slowest marathon, I was able to accomplish one of my goals for 2019 when I finished. It looks like I’ll hit all of the non-time-related ones. Here’s how the rest of the month went…
- I ran 136.7 miles. This is definitely a solid month of mileage for me, and my fourth-highest mileage month this year out of the 10 months so far (and two of those months were two of my highest-ever-mileage months).
- I ran the Marine Corps Marathon on my birthday. Although the race was extremely tough and I faced terrible weather conditions along with thousands of others, I finished a race on my birthday — and it was the Marine Corps Marathon! Read about my experience here. That was the only race I ran in October.
- I ran on the York County Heritage Rail Trail. This was a new-to-me location, and I loved it!
- I went to the Maryland/DC RRCA Symposium. My boyfriend, Mike, and I (we are both Eastern Shore Running Club officers) traveled to Eldersburg, Maryland, for the Maryland/DC RRCA Symposium, where we gained information on club governance and best practices. We each then went on to one of the afternoon tracks, and I learned more about club training programs. It was interesting to learn new things and about what other clubs do, come away with ideas and interact with leaders of other clubs.
- Mike and I ran together before work. In more than nine-and-a-half years together, I think a run the morning of Oct. 10 may have been our first time running together before a morning work shift for both of us. (In case you don’t know by now, I’m definitely not a morning person.) It was a short but fun run!
- I went to yoga once. I hope to get back into a more regular yoga practice now that I’m finished marathon training, although my next training cycle will start up soon.
- I didn’t go to the gym at all. Again — oops.
It’s been another fun month with the Eastern Shore Running Club, and if you’d like to join us, we’ve now moved to our fall/winter location. We’re running from the Salisbury Bible Fellowship parking lot off Pine Bluff Road on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 6 p.m. Hope to see you for a run!
2 thoughts on “My October Running: Lots of miles and a birthday marathon”
Several of my friends ran this year’s MCM and the weather was crazy! Congrats on running a marathon on your birthday, especially since it was during such crappy weather. One year I ran Marathon in the Parks (Montgomery County, MD) on my birthday. My husband finished in front of me and told the announcer it was my birthday and as soon as they saw me coming toward the finish, the announcer started wishing me a happy birthday. It was amazing!
The RRCA Symposium sounds like fun. I hope you learned lots and brought back many new ideas to your local RRCA running group.
LikeLiked by 1 person
That sounds like such a fun finish!!
Comments are closed.