Disclaimer: I received free entry to the Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review, find and write race reviews!
For the third Labor Day Weekend in a row, I’ll be returning to Virginia Beach for the Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon. I’m excited to be running again for BibRave — and repping the orange along the course. Here are half a dozen reasons you should join me for this fun half marathon!
- The location. What better place to spend Labor Day than at the beach? I love combining running with a vacation — and I’ve even found a way to work it into my work trips. Running and a beach trip is definitely a fun combo. I travel with my friend Veronica for races a lot, and a lot of the time, we’re running races at the beach in the off-season. But this one is right in season. So, after you run the race, cool off in the ocean and relax on the beach. The race also finishes on the Virginia Beach Boardwalk.
- The music. With “Rock ‘n’ Roll” in the name, obviously music is a big part of the experience. There are bands along the course, which add to the fun atmosphere of the race. There’s also a headliner at the end, which hasn’t been announced for 2019 yet. The past couple years, entry to the half marathon or the 5K has included access to the American Music Festival, which is down the Boardwalk from the finish.
- The community. It’s hot out there, but the community is supportive of the runners, whether it’s offering ice pops or spraying a hose. There are also cheer groups and military members out there.
- The course. I live in a flat area, and I run much faster on flat courses. There’s a bridge that you go over twice, but other than that, the course is flat. I also had a fast last mile the two years I’ve run this race. There are also plenty of well-staffed aid stations.
- The bling. This race has had a cute medal the past two years that I’ve run, and I’m looking forward to seeing what the 2019 medal looks like!
- Who knows what kind of fun is in store? Last year, I got to meet Kathrine Switzer. The year before, I got to go in a fun wind-tunnel type thing where I got to grab pieces of paper for a chance at free shoes. There are also fun photo ops at the expo.
There’s plenty of time to train before Labor Day Weekend. So, are you ready to plan your trip? There’s the half marathon Sunday, Sept. 1, and a 5K and Mile on the Sand, which are both Saturday, Aug. 31.
The half marathon and 5K each begin at 7 a.m. on their respective days, and the Mile on the Sand begins at 8 a.m. To learn more about the courses, visit this page.
I got a sponsored Facebook post in my feed that said the price is going up April 1. So, register here by March 31 for the lowest price! Plus, you can save $16 on the half marathon with code 19RNRBRP16 or $6 on the 5K with code 19RNRBRP6.
The current rates as of March 29, before the above discounts and processing fees, are $52 for the 5K, $32 for the Mile On The Sand and $82 for the half marathon.
The race expo is held from 1-7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 30, and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31, at the Virginia Beach Convention Center.