As I trained for the Algonquin 50K, I was excited to kick off 2023 with a high-mileage month for me — more during January than what I ran in 10 of the 12 months of 2022.
- I ran 141.6 miles. Even though I started tapering for the Algonquin 50K about midway through the month, I still ended up with a high-for-me monthly total.
- My first 1600 of the year was 8:34. I’m continuing my goal of doing a monthly 1600-meter run for speed, and I am going to continue to work to get my time under 8:00. I started off with 8:34.
- I didn’t do any races. I’d like to do fewer races this year, really focusing on the ones I do run and having some more time at home (and saving money!). There also aren’t as many races in January, so it wasn’t a hard month to not run a race.
- I ran with several groups. In addition to the Eastern Shore Running Club runs that are a regular part of my schedule, I also got in a run with the 11:30 Club and did a couple Tim Kennard training runs.
- I ran in various places. I ran at the Algonquin Cross-County Trail four times, Trap Pond once, and the Cross Island Trail in Kent Island once.
- I did a fun “Happy New Year” run with friends. My friend Kendra created a course for us that spelled out “Happy New Year 23.”
- I took three yoga classes and a Pilates class. I enjoyed continuing my yoga practice and want to keep up Pilates too; that one, I did the week of Algonquin, and I’ve been mostly resting since then.
- I took five DribbleUp classes. I plan to keep working on my strength training by taking these quick but sometimes difficult classes with a six-pound medicine ball.
Throughout the month, I could feel moderately faster-for-me paces becoming easier, which is a great feeling. I am looking forward to seeing what I can do during the rest of the year!
One thought on “January running wrap-up: The year got off to a great start”
I am also trying to run fewer races this year– I feel like at this point I have run so many and really want to focus on ones that I am excited about! Can’t wait for your ALQ recap– I hope to write one this week as well!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Comments are closed.