I accomplished the second of my five 2019 goals in October — I ran a race on my birthday. Unfortunately, I didn’t meet that one last year because two races were canceled on my birthday.
So, even though the Marine Corps Marathon four days ago was my slowest marathon, I was able to accomplish one of my goals for 2019 when I finished. It looks like I’ll hit all of the non-time-related ones. Here’s how the rest of the month went…
- I ran 136.7 miles. This is definitely a solid month of mileage for me, and my fourth-highest mileage month this year out of the 10 months so far (and two of those months were two of my highest-ever-mileage months).
- I ran the Marine Corps Marathon on my birthday. Although the race was extremely tough and I faced terrible weather conditions along with thousands of others, I finished a race on my birthday — and it was the Marine Corps Marathon! Read about my experience here. That was the only race I ran in October.
- I ran on the York County Heritage Rail Trail. This was a new-to-me location, and I loved it!
- I went to the Maryland/DC RRCA Symposium. My boyfriend, Mike, and I (we are both Eastern Shore Running Club officers) traveled to Eldersburg, Maryland, for the Maryland/DC RRCA Symposium, where we gained information on club governance and best practices. We each then went on to one of the afternoon tracks, and I learned more about club training programs. It was interesting to learn new things and about what other clubs do, come away with ideas and interact with leaders of other clubs.
- Mike and I ran together before work. In more than nine-and-a-half years together, I think a run the morning of Oct. 10 may have been our first time running together before a morning work shift for both of us. (In case you don’t know by now, I’m definitely not a morning person.) It was a short but fun run!
- I went to yoga once. I hope to get back into a more regular yoga practice now that I’m finished marathon training, although my next training cycle will start up soon.
- I didn’t go to the gym at all. Again — oops.
It’s been another fun month with the Eastern Shore Running Club, and if you’d like to join us, we’ve now moved to our fall/winter location. We’re running from the Salisbury Bible Fellowship parking lot off Pine Bluff Road on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 6 p.m. Hope to see you for a run!